Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Crafters unite!

So this past weekend was the Crafty Bastards Arts & Crafts Fair at the Pyramid Atlantic Art Center in Silver Spring.
Here are some pictures I took of some of the handmade crafts, before the artisan from the second pic's booth politely asked me to stop taking pictures.
Art School Dropout had some cool plastic-chic pendants.
And Alitas makes awesome jewelry out of hardware, all twisted and chained together. So cool.

They had bookmaking and t-shirt silk screening workshops. It was also cool to see that this place is a giant working art studio.
Some functional art.
I stopped for some refreshment. It was HOT outside. I had Carmen's mango italian ice.
I saw so many vendors and was very impressed by all of their creativity. I didn't take any more pictures out of respect, but here are some of my favorites, with links so you can discover them too.

The first purchase I made was at Biggs and Featherbelle, whom I greatly respect, since they have done what I tried and failed to do. They make 100% natural body products that are good. I first discovered them last summer when they were giving away samples at Whole Foods. I ended up buying a mint lip balm and lavender face&body soap. I also love that they are reasonably priced.

There was a lot of great jewelry.

Ashley Pickin of Normal is Boring makes earrings, pendants, bracelets, etc. from used balloons! How green. You go girl! I told her that my mom is a clown and then she shared, "yeah, I'm a children's entertainer too." Makes sense...


Check out Realm for some very creatively combined jewelry using many different elements.

Liz Mathews has some beeeeautiful pendants made with a combination of stones and silver.

I lovvvved Dandelion Blu's ceramic pendants.

And we all went gaga over the Broken Plate Pendant Company.
Beth Pohlman bends metal into very feminine designs. Right up my alley.

Imogene has some beautiful metal cutout jewelry.

Now here's a medium you wouldn't normally guess as apt for jewelry: paper. I beelined into the back of Bright Lights Little City, past the beautiful paper lampshades, to her origami stars. I got little star earrings and a kit to make a necklace.

Onto other goods.

I loved the simplicity and the fabric patterns of Mogo.

I nabbed a shawl at red prairie press, made of jersey with flowers printed on either end. Heidi got 2 tops too.

Inside and upstairs, we were amazed by Closed Caption Comics and Molly Colleen O'Connell's drawing (and printing, and folding) abilities.

I also spent some time at Pistol, Rebound Designs, My Favorite Mirror, the Weekend Store, Kari Minnick Art Glass Studio, Block Party Press, The Devil Made Me Do It, Spooky Daddy, Loyalty and Blood, This Chickadee Loves You, and Rar Rar Press (where I bought a pin that says, "I'm a craft mother fucker."

After all that, a rain storm, and a quick stop at Plaza Art Store, Vara and I were pooped and moseyed on home to relax in the a/c and pool, respectively. I took time to pull out my goodies first and take a picture.

They gave us this bag that I plan to embroider colorfully.
And you can see my star necklace kit, jersey shawl, soap and lip balm on the left. Next to those are two ceramic pieces that I bought for a steal from the chick who also makes the balloon remnant jewelry. And the best deal of all? All that yarn and other miscellaneous craft stuff is from the craft mutiny swap. I paid only $5 or a lunch bag full of whatever they had out. I got lots of cotton yarn, some ribbon, and beads.

On the bottom is the kajillion business cards I got.

It was a really fun day, and 'm looking forward to the crafty bastards event that is happening in Adams Morgan in September. It is supposedly gigantic.

Happy crafting!

No comments: