Sunday, January 25, 2009

The birth of a pattern

Today after my plans to see a movie were canceled, I decided to trek over to A Tangled Skein to pick up some yarn. I hadn't been there for a while and was so excited! Also, I got to use my GPS to get there.

After bee-lining to pick out yarn, I sat a while and finished my Oc-TOE-ber socks while talking to Rivka, one of the workers there. I always see her on Ravelry when looking at my "friend activity". Things that she faves, queues, and knits always catch my eye as something I want to make NOW.

I finished my socks:Since starting this project I have abandoned the step in project-adding on Ravelry when you list the exact date you started it. I just got too OCD about it and decided that to keep my sanity I'd just skip it. But I had noted for this project the date I had started it, and it was June 4, 2008!! I can't believe they have been on my needles for so long. I don't even want to think about how long that dang Jeanie shawl has been on the needles....

So anyways...A Tangled Skein is having a 20% off sale starting this Tuesday, but my tendency for instant gratification won and I walked away with some schtuff. I got only the yarn I came in for (what a concept). I also got some cable needles and wool wash.

Red, white, and blue Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted for a fair isle Obama Hope hat, and some Berroco Peruvia in a hunter green for a Valentine's gift.

The recipient asked for a rustic-looking hat, in his exact words, "like you spun the yarn yourself." I failed to mention (on purpose) that I can spin, because he probably would have asked me to do that part too. And then it would have been next year's Valentine's gift because I really suck at spinning.

On the way home whilst listening to Stash and Burn on my iPod (thank you Honda) I dreamt up how I would construct this. I also decided that it is just complicated enough that I could publish it as an easy pattern. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening playing knit designer.

Wind.
Swatch and measure.
Calculate and cast-on.And several hours later (note the lighting change) Tada!
ETA: This pattern was strongly influenced by the It Ain't Jane Scarf. I wanted a drapey, squishy fabric. And I love the texture of these little cables all together. (hint: you can make this hat to match the scarf!)

And here is the pattern:

Just a Little Something Hat

(...because last time I was the victim of the infamous curse
but now I have an excuse because it's Valentine's Day
and I need to give a present anyway
but I don't want it to be too much)


Yarn: Berroco Peruvia (100% highland wool, aran weight)
Needles: 16" circulars in US 8 and US 10.5, double pointeds in US 10.5
Other: darning needle, cable needle if you'd like but you can also try it without
Gauge: 5 pattern repeats = 3.5" on larger needles when slightly stretched
Size: to fit 22" head
Patterns:
Ribbing=*knit 2, purl 1* repeat around
Twisted 1x1 cable=
row 1: *hold 1st k stitch in front, k 2nd stitch, k 1st stitch, p third stitch* repeat around
rows 2, 3, & 4: work in ribbing
Directions:
Cast on 96
On smaller needles, work in ribbing for 1"
Switch to larger needles and work one more row in ribbing
Work in twisted 1x1 cable pattern for 6 repeats (24 rows total)
Decrease rounds (switching to dpn's when necessary):
1: *ssk, p1, k2, p1, twisted 1x1 cable, p1, twisted 1x1 cable, p1* repeat around (88)
2: *k1, p1, ssk, p1, k2, p1, k2, p1* repeat around (80)
3: *k1, p1, k1, p1, ssk, p1, k2, p1* repeat around (72)
4: **k1, p1* 3 times, ssk, p1* repeat around (64)
5: *ssk, *k1, p1* 3 times* repeat around (56)
6: *k1, ssk, k1, p1, k1, p1* repeat around (48)
7: *k2, ssk, k1, p1* repeat around (40)
8: *k3, ssk* repeat around (32)
9: *ssk, k2* repeat around (24)
10: *ssk, k1* repeat around (16)
11: ssk 8 times (8)
Cut yarn and draw through remaining loops. Pull tight and knot. Then weave in ends.
Done!

No comments: